A visit to the thrift shop produced an unexpected encounter on the shelves: a small oval container fashioned from thin wood veneer, its lid carrying a crisp, hand-painted First Nations eagle in traditional black, red, and white formline. It had an unmistakable presence that commanded attention. I picked it up and carried it through the store, though the price tag was so negligible that bringing only the box to the cash register felt almost improper. To appease the retail ledger and justify the transaction, I circled the aisles until I finally settled on a shirt to buy alongside it. The clothing was mere camouflage; the little box was the real acquisition.

A search online filled in the wider biographical canvas. Una-Ann spent twenty-five years working as an Indigenous support worker in the Langley School District, dedicating a major chapter of her career to secondary students before retiring in 2019. Rather than slowing down, at age sixty-six she enrolled in the Freda Diesing School of Northwest Coast Art in Terrace to further advance her carving and traditional formline practice.
The physical ephemera dates this container back roughly twenty years, hailing from the Lower Mainland artisan market circuits of the early 2000s. Twenty years is barely a footnote in historical time, but in an individual human life, it is a substantial expanse. It represents the arc of an entire teaching career, generations of students passing through classrooms, and the gradual obsolescence of early digital tools. Yet through all that accumulated living, the painted veneer remained unchanged, patiently preserving a single afternoon's work until it was rescued from a crowded shelf.
I love it. I plan to send a message out to that vintage Hotmail address. Whether the note reaches an active inbox or bounces silently into the digital ether, it feels right to offer a simple word of thanks to the artist whose handiwork now decorates our coffee table.

